Saturday 3 July 2010

Stage 11 La Clusaz to Thonon and FINISH!

Ian writes - The final day and not off to a good start. Just like the first leg I took a wrong turn at the beginning and went downhill for nearly six miles when realised I had gone seriously wrong. Meant I had to turn around and cycle uphill over 1000ft to get back to start point. Anyway persevered and on a very hot day, I cycled to Bonneville and then over two passes until a great 13 km descent into Thonon les Bains - the finish and a dip in the lake. It was beautiful, so much so that Marie went for a morning swim the day after and swam 2 miles!The temperature is so much hotter here than in the mountains, at least 28 degrees.I covered nearly 60 miles today and over 4000ft of ascent ( 10 miles longer than needed to be!)
For those "anoraks" like me the average daily mileage for the 11 stages was 41 miles and 4400 ft of ascent. Total mileage for the trip including detours etc was 579 miles and a whopping 62300 ft of ascent! We are now off to Lauterbrunnen in the Swiss Bernese Oberland to do some walking.




No comments: